VA-ROL Archives

January 2002

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Robert Nawrocki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:09:25 -0500
Hi Pat:
Couple things. The options you've mentioned are being done by different
groups. At this time it depends on how much work you want to do and the
resources you have available. Lets look at the options:

1. Print to paper - for long term retention it fits into existing
recordkeeping processes. If you have mixed files part paper, part electronic
you need to pick one to keep your information in to avoid ending with
missing information. For example a contract file that paper submissions and
electronic approvals.

2. Storing on hard drives/LANs. I know that Newport News is using a separate
e-mail server where e-mails are organized by topics and dates to insure easy
disposition. Storing on personal hard drives will result in multiple copies
of e-mails on various hard drives. So training to have only the record copy
preserved is useful. If you use Outlook training users to create files
folders by topic and date, filing their e-mails regularly and tossing what
can tossed is a nice interim solution.

3. There a number of systems out there that can be used, including some that
deal specifically with the management of e-mail. I suggest you use a program
that is DoD 5015.2 Certified. This is
probably the most expensive system but is also the most secure if you need
to preserve significant amounts of e-mail.

The key to any system is to:
        -Do your homework and develop a simple, well thought out plan
        -Test your ideas with users. What may seem simple to power users may
befuddle the rest of     us.
        -Have well written policies giving the who, when why and how of
e-mail preservation
        -Make sure that the folks at the top are early, enthusiastic users.
Gives you someone to
       point to when someone says why do I have to do this?
        -Train, train train. Poor training equals poor implementation.
        -Monitor the system and modify as needed.

As Al F. points out, e-mail is Foiable and your system has to be able to
give no employees access to FOIA material.

Please contact me if you would like me to review your eventual solution.

Bob

Robert F. Nawrocki CRM
Electronic Records Coordinator
Records Management and Imaging Services Division
The Library of Virginia
804.692.3505
Innovate and Infuriate