VA-ROL Archives

February 2009

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
"Harrington, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:19:37 -0500
I've mixed feelings about this type of work.  The State Correction
department had issues with inmates microfilming documents and some of
them involved private information being leaked to the defendant in a
court case. This could happen just as easily with shredding, even if the
inmate is being watched.  In addition, you are then using two persons to
do the job of one even if only one is being paid. I'm also not certain
if using inmates would meet HIPPA or DOD requirements. Fairfax had
employed inmates to do shredding, but I discontinued it because of our
volume.  They could not keep up with the amount of records needing to be
shredded.  We average about 600 to 800 boxes per month. Last year the
County shredded over 180 tons of paper, and the school system had close
to the same amount.  At the moment, we are using a vendor for shredding
which was done through a requisition.  We recently issued an RFP which
should be awarded by the end of this month.  Under the RFP, the vendor
will provide shredding for our records at the records center, but also
provide on-site shredding at the various departments, special shredding
on various days throughout the year that the County provides shredding
services for residents, and special secure pickup containers for
shredding at designated locations.

Richard "Dick" Harrington
County Archivist / Recs. Mgr.
Fairfax County Archives & Records