VA-ROL Archives

February 2009

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Debbie Lupton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:01:11 -0500
I have been reading this thread and would like to put in my 2 cents.  If I am not mistaken if you have "staff" per say or anyone else for that matter, handling confidential information and/or records, there are requirements for training in regard to confidentiality whether or not someone is "watching" the person doing the job or not.  The fact that you can pick a name out on a form without actually reading the information is a proven fact, thus breaching that person's confidentiality.

Is there confidentiality training given to these inmates and if so, how will you hold them accountable even if they disregard that training?  I have been a Compliance Officer for nearly 10 years with 25 years experience in the Health Information Management field and we even do intensive training with our maintenance staff on confidentiality, the thought of allowing an inmate to take on this confidential staff would be something I would fight to the end, especially if there was a chance that there was any information of mine involved.

It is a law suit waiting to happen!

Debbie Lupton, RHIT
Compliance Coordinator
Northwestern Community Services
209 West Criser Road, Suite 300
Front Royal, VA  22630

Phone:  (540) 636-4250 ext. 2237
Fax:  (540) 636-7171

This email may contain information belonging to the sender that is protected by Federal and State confidentiality regulations (Virginia Code 32.1-127, 42 C.F.R., Part 2 and 45 C.F.R. 160 and 164). If you are not the intended recipient please do not use or copy it for any purpose. If you have made copies, please destroy them. Thank you.