VA-ROL Archives

September 2007

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Amy Judd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:56:02 -0400
I thought others might have the same question, so Max Dean gave me
permission to post his email to the list.

The Virginia Administrative Code (18VAC85-20-26) states that "From October
19, 2005 practitioners shall post information or in some manner inform all
patients concerning the time frame for record retention and destruction."

The whole citation, including the unwieldy retention for juvenile records, can
be found here:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+18VAC85-20-26

What I'm hearing from many, is that the retention statement is on one of the
many documents that patients must sign to obtain treatment.