VA-ROL Archives

July 2010

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Rosanna Bencoach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:13:59 -0400
Our IT Manager looked into this after the CBS story and then told department
managers to budget at the end of copier lease cycles to purchase the hard
drives for removal/destruction (about $200 each for most of the machines we
are currently using).

As for making old hard drives unreadable, my predecessor preferred using
them for target practice.  I'm not sure if this is a method recommended by
LVA (officially or un).

Rosanna Bencoach
General Registrar, New Kent