VA-ROL Archives

October 2007

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
"Breeden, John B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:28:39 -0400
The following is being posted on behalf of Jerome Kendall, Chesterfield
Records Manager
John Breeden

Cross-cut shredding will reduce the paper to bits the size of uncooked
macaroni, or smaller; the very expensive ones will nearly "rice" the
materials.  The bugaboo about strip shredding dates to the
reconstruction by the Iranians of materials that were strip-shredded by
American embassy staff during the Iranian hostage affair of the 1970's.

It would seem to me that cross-cutting would be the way to go, although
you have to trust somebody sometime; we have our materials shredded at a
Weyerhaeuser recycling facility, and trust that they do not employ
persons intent on looking for Social Security numbers, or for anything
else.

To UNSUBSCRIBE, change options, or subscribe, please see the instructions
at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-rol.html
(If using Netscape, must have version 6.1 or higher to view the above page)