VA-ROL Archives

February 2009

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
"Palmer, Gerald" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:25:19 -0500
My hat is off to the sheriff for employing "cheap labor". My budget has
no allowance for procuring shredding companies or hiring of local
personnel so I use individuals who have committed honor code violations
at the University to do all of my shredding at no cost to me. My
shredding of 500-2000 boxes of records annually, include student medical
and academic records as well as other highly sensitive University
personnel and/or financial data originating with faculty or staff. The
person shredding is monitored at all times and not allowed to "read" or
peruse the records being shredded. I see no problem with the Sheriff's
actions as long as those doing the shredding are being monitored at all
times.

Jerry Palmer
University Records Manager
Virginia tech