VA-ROL Archives

August 2001

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Marilyn Willard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:45:28 -0400

I am Records Manager for York/Poquoson Social Services.  We do not microfilm
our case records.  However, we have microfilmed our permanent Board Minutes
that date back to 1935. Case records that become permanent records are
Adoptions and, of course, these records are sent to the Commissioner of the
Dept. of Social Services in Richmond for permanent retention. Other cases
ie.Foster Care records, where the child was never reunited with his family
are retained permanently by the agency.  However, we do not have that many,
and we have not microfilmed them. Records of Foster Children who were
returned to their family are kept for 10 yrs. after the age of majority,
then destroyed.  Some Child Protective Service Cases (depending on the level
of the disposition of the case) are retained 18 years past the date of the
complaint.  We have not microfilmed any of these records either.  If an
agency were to film these cases that have time constraints, it would then be
necessary to have the cases purged from the film when the retention date is
reached which could be 18 yrs later.

Also, Mr. Harrington, I am assuming that only PERMANENT records are stored
on film at the Library, and that the agency would be responsible for records
with 18 year (or less) retention time?

Marilyn Willard