From:
Terry Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:15:21 -0500
	Among English professors, one delight is Enoch Soames, the unjustly
neglected Catholic diabolist....  See the magisterial Bibliography of
Enoch Soames, 1862–1897, by Mark Samuels Lasner (1999; Amazon has a
copy for just over $300).  See too Enoch Soames: The Critical Heritage:

		http://www.cypherpress.com/soames/index.asp

	And, just to bring this back to Virginia, see my own monograph Oscar
Wilde and Williamsburg: A Study, where I document Wilde's neglecting
to visit Williamsburg (like other Victorian authors, in fact) when he
had the chance.

		http://books.google.com/books/about/
Oscar_Wilde_and_Williamsburg.html?id=74b8GgAACAAJ

	Some years later, Richard Ellmann and then a German scholar both
wrote that Wilde did visit Williamsburg; satire became..... scholarship:

		http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/15997825/oscar-wilde-
williamsburg-virginia

	Finally, a question that arises from all this.....   Wilde was also
claimed to have visited Charlottesville during the visit when he
avoided Williamsburg--I expressed skepticism in my N&Q article, not
finding any newspaper accounts of such a visit.

	But....   did he? (he did lecture in Norfolk and Richmond).

Terry L. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, College of William
and Mary, Williamsburg Virginia  23187				757-221-3932

		http://wmpeople.wm.edu/site/page/tlmeye/

		http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html
        Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?....
Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the
college.
             															 --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."