From:
Lee Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:04:29 -0400
Actually, I think Eric may be right on the money.  In Virginia Baptist history
there is a fair amount of humor regarding the number of points to any pastor's
sermons--the received wisdom being that a sermon without at least three points
ain't much of a sermon.  At the same time, the higher the number of points go
above three, the more the humor increases--suggesting on the other hand that if
you can't say it in three points, it ain't worth saying.

Not having seen the entire excerpt, I would be hesitant to venture much of a
guess, but possibly the writer was using the "thirdly" reference to emphasize
surprise or the suddenness of the need to form the line of battle.  An
effective way of doing so, I'd say.

Lee Shepard
Virginia Historical Society

--