Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:05:58 -0500
What I find remarkable is not only that evangelicals today
remain so ignorant of their own history, but also that as a
consequence they have now changed their position to support
greater state engagement with religion.

If we revere the wisdom of the Founders, then surely we have
to revere their position on State and Church.  This position
developed adherants largely because evangelical Christians in
Virginia wisely perceived that "accomodation" of Church and
State was not in their best interest.  Strict separation, and
not accomodation, originated in Virginia, and with the full
and dedicated support of Virginia's reformed Christian sects.

Madison's "Memorial and Remonstrance" contains arguments
designed to appeal to the coalition that ultimately formed the
majority and passed Jefferson's bill.  Some of his arguments
appeal to the enlightenment rationalism of men like Jefferson.
 But a number are straight out of Luther and Calvin, and
ultimately from Paul's letters.  The City of Man and the City
of God are two radically separate things, and the one is
rather more sinful and corrupt than the other.  It would be
foolish indeed to structure society to allow those who immerse
themselves in the City of Man to regulate what happens in the
City of God.  That's an argument evangelicals, of all people,
should find amply confirmed in their own history.

If they *knew* their own history, of course.  Therein lies the
rub.

All best,
Kevin