From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:00:15 -0330
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:53:30 -0500, Anne Pemberton wrote

> Please show me where the Native Americans passed title to their
> lands to the French? Show me where the French even made contact with
> the Native Americans who "held title" to their lands won to them by
> historical occupation of those lands?

Anne, you say this as if the Americans and Europeans were the only people
making land grabs at that time. It was pretty much universal, the Native
Americans included. Besides the Native American were not some homogeneous
group which had declared boundaries to their domain. They were a myriad of
nations each competing for hunting and trapping grounds. The "land" that they
occupied was subject to change depending on the vagaries of war between those
nations and also their interaction with non-native entities such as the
Americans and Europeans. The Powhatan Indians in Virginia were not opposed to
wiping out a local nation that was inconvenient to them. Who pleads the case
of the Chesapeac nation that Powhatan exterminated?

Land grabs, conquest, and genocide is all pretty abhorant to us today, but it
was a matter of course back then. It's nasty, gruesome, unfair, and all the
other negative words that aptly apply, but it all occurred in a different
world that held different values than we do today. Passing moral judgements
on the past is an exercise of futility.

> The land belonged to the Native Americans, not the French, nor
> the Americans. This action led to the destruction of the way of life
> of the Natives to that soil, punctuated by the American efforts to
> exterminate them as if they had no right to exist.

The purchase of the Louisiana Territory was not part of a plan for genocide.
Jefferson had the Lewis and Clark expedition equipped with the ability to
innoculate natives that they met for cow pox. Does that sound like a plan to
kill them all off? From the earliest days of Jamestown, the intent was to
assimilate the Native Americans, largely with benevolent intent.  Granted the
execution of that plan was not the best, but it's getting tiresome hearing
that the European colonization of North America was some grand scheme to kill
off all the natives and take their land. It's just not true!

There were some individuals who sought the extemination of Native Americans,
but for the most part it was never part of colonial or national policy to do
so.

Regards,

Tom A.