From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 06:45:19 -0500
This is a tough time for anything historical and/or cultural.  We are
watching corporate greed prepare to close down Washington's long running and
now only classical musical station remaining, WGMS, and switch it to Rock,
Pop or Sports.  The Museum of the Confederacy is on the rocks.  THE GREAT
WOLF LODGE @ Williamsburg has no doubt far surpassed Colonial Williamburg as
a drawing card.  I did not realize all this about Carter Grove until the
VA-HIST postings.  And the institution which traces its roots all the way
back to Jamestowne -- The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia -- is in danger of
losing two of the most historical churches in America -- Truro and The Falls
Church.

While I see no sinister plot behind all this, nevertheless they are all
signs of the times.  Those times and changing and in some of the above
cases, the situations have been made worse by the failure of institutional
management to face reality and adjust.

Whatever the electronic efforts at Mt. Vernon, or new facilities at
Monticello, or rumored Giant Screen rock-and-roll productions planned for
Jamestowne 2007, at least they are efforts to try to do something different.
Shades of my old ROTC instructor 50+ years ago who drummed into our young
heads, "When faced with a crisis, DO SOMETHING!!!!!"  It may be wrong, but
don't just sit there.

That having been said, I have no better suggestions for all these slings and
arrows besetting us, except it is all the more important that everybody on
VA-HIST re-commit him/herself to doing whatever we can do indidually to keep
the flame of history and of our legacy alive.

Randy Cabell