From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 13:33:36 -0400
Not all that sad. After Grace had filed a charge of assault and
battery against a neighbor, the neighbor retaliated with charges of
witchcraft against her [bewitching livestock, ruining crops,
conjuring storms]. For a time she was shunted back and forth between
the local Princess Anne County Court and the Governor and the General
Court. The Va. Atty General said the charges were too vague and sent
the case back to the county. The first group of women who were
appointed to examine her for "marks of a witch" refused, and another
group was named. Her dunking included a group of men in a boat
nearby, in case the "innocent" Grace should sink, they could rescue
her before she drowned. As it happened, she freed herself and, of
course, came to the surface. The area is still known as Witchduck
Point and Witchduck Road in Virginia Beach. She was sent to jail for
a time [no Virginia witch was ever executed], was later released, and
Governor Spotswood helped her get her property back; in 1714 she paid
back taxes on it. In 1733 she willed her estate to her 3 sons, and
was deceased by 1740, aged 80. I believe there were only 15 witch
trials in Colonial Virginia, and most resulted in aquittals. One man,
accused by a Scottish preacher, was whipped and banned from the
county. The authorities seemed to have discouraged witch trials and
they often ended with a lawsuit for slander being filed  against the
accuser, who was usually fined for bringing false charges. I think
the fact that witch cases in Virginia were solely a civil and legal
matter and lacked the religious involvement of the trials in New
England made a huge difference. I've never heard of your case.
Perhaps it happened in New England? Or was local and no record is
left of it?

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone