From:
Camille Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:24:41 -0400
Hi John.

My answer is in some respect impressionistic, since it's based on [what was
at the time] an exhaustive transcription of VG ads of property for sale--so
there was diligence, but then I was only looking for one kind of newspaper
entry.

I just did a chronological scan of this data set and I see that very few VGs
exist after November 1757 [Though William Hunter' published until 1761] and
before March 1766 when Purdie and Dixon crank up.

I have some entries from Joseph Royle's VG dating from 1762 to 1765, though
the entries note that I found about half of these in issues of Royle that
turned up after the completion of the Cappon-Duff index.  They are available
as photocopies at the CWF [now Rockefeller] Library.

Incidentally, as there were land-for-sale ads in every issue, I did not work
through the index, just scanned each reel of microfilm.  So the gap is not,
of course, in the index but in the VGs known at the time.  And these are the
ones that were microfilmed.

Perhaps one of our colleagues knows of another more recently found cache for
this really important span of years.

With best wishes to you,
Camille.