From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:12:19 -0400
> People will study whatever parts of
> history interest them. Putting the name
> of an unknown African on a rock at
> Poquoson would not be correct, inasmuch
> as the slaves came in initially at Jamestown.

I'm guessing that the equivalent of a typo got us from the Potomac River to
the city of Poquoson. As a Poquoson resident and a defender of Fort
Monroe -- the national treasure that the Civil War Preservation Trust says
is under threat (please see the top of the page at CFMNP.org) -- I'd better
note something about that ship carrying those first Africans in 1619. Before
going on to Jamestown, it stopped first at Old Point Comfort, the strategic
point of land overlooking Hampton Roads and the lower bay. A quarter of a
millennium later, during Fort Monroe's earliest decades at Old Point
Comfort, and just after Fort Sumter, the first African-American
self-emancipations of the multi-named 1861-1865 conflict took place there.
Prof. Bob Engs at Penn says that those self-emancipations started a cascade
across the South that ended up helping to determine the war's outcome. In my
view this is all the more important because, as my friend Scott Butler wrote
in a brief op-ed
(http://www.cfmnp.org/we_should_tell_the_full-circle_story.htm) last year,
"we should tell the full-circle story of slavery at Old Point Comfort" --
from that 1619 ship through the slave-labor construction of the moated stone
fortress, to the beginnings of slavery's end, to Reconstruction and its
lamentable undermining by an evil that, as its perpetrators would know full
well if they were here, existed beyond any defense by presentism arguments.
Steve Corneliussen
Poquoson, Virginia