From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:51:28 -0500
  Yes, I understand that point (recognizing Brent's request to desist from quibbling)
but ask you to question this idea with persistent historical
reasoning.  Why were "States" the polity in many southerners',
many Americans' minds?  Well, for one thing, the States had
established themselves by force, not specifically by reason.
Sovereignty in Britain lay in the Crown, then after the Civil War of
the 1640s in Parliament ("The King and Parliament is supreme;"
that is, the King without Parliament isn't much.)
  What were the loyalties of Virginia's white men disfranchised for
reasons of poverty, or of Virginia's white women, its Indians, and its
enslaved and free blacks?  These questions seemed immaterial
when decisions were  made by elections and other stable, peaceful
forms, but became greatly important when history began to be
written with the bayonet.
  We should be very careful NOT to accept simply at face value
what State leaders argued to rally State loyalty in the crisis of the
1850s.  For one thing, State loyalty does not help us explain the
many, many white and black men from Confederate states who
fought and died for the Union.  Were they "disloyal," out of step
with their times, or prematurely modern?