From:
"Jarl K. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:19:23 -0700
The question of state, over beside/with, or against, national patriotism is an interesting one. A man like Robert E. Lee could use his loyalty to justify or rationalize - words not necessary meant to have negative connotations - his chosing to follow Virginia out of the the Union. This although he seems to have sincerely believed (in his own way at least - also with necessarily negative connotations) that secession was bad, the Union was good, and (in some way, though perhaps not as we see it) slavery was wrong as well.

At the same time, other Virginians, other Southerners, in fact could consider it loyalty to the Union certainly, and perhaps also to thier native state, to not secede when that state did. George (_?_) whose last name escapes me at the moment, could find it so in staying in the US Army, becoming the 'Rock of Chickamauga' and being (sadly, ungraciously) rejected by his Virginia family after that war.

There is a letter written by John S. Mosby to a friend after the war in which he explains how though opposed to slavery, he and many others could go with, and fight for Virginia. Many would condemn the likes of him for "treason," and many do criticize Lee - often going too far in tearing him off the old pedestal - for having thoughts and perceptions, holding views best understood (if understood at all) in the context of time and place.

This is not to absolve "sinners" of their wrongs, though the Constitution's provision on treason, as with everything else, is open to some interpretation. Rather, to accept that some perspective needs to be maintained. Historians and others are as likely to lose that in favor of discrediting sincere and thoughtful men, as some others these days are of giving them to much of perhaps the wrong kind of credit.

For myself, I am a native-born son of Virginia currently residing in Florida. I consider myself an American as I do a Virginian, and yes, I am a Floridian as well. I try be to an active, concerned citizen of the local, state, and national communities of which I am a part, recognizing both shared and divergent interests between and among these, and a concerned child of the Old Dominion as well.

Whether under the right circumstances I would recognize a 'state of nature' to be in effect, or a proper dissolution of the Union to have occurred is a question I cannot now, and hope to never have to answer.
---
Jarl K. Jackson

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!