From:
Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 10:32:17 -0500
I just joined this discussion (and discussion group), so I may be missing
the point. What did African American slaves' ability to overthrow their
oppressors say about the institution of slavery? As Douglas Deal pointed out
and as John Brown's raid and the Civil War proved, it was no easy task.

How can we still be discussing whether or not African Americans accepted
their situation and the level of their mistreatment? It reminds me of that
fellow in New York State who kidnapped young women and held them for years
in his basement where he continually raped them. On being captured he saw no
wrong in what he had done and explained how well he fed and treated them and
how much they came to accept their life.

The recent apology by Virginia lawmakers is a great stride forward in
acknowledging the horrible effects of slavery on African Americans, but it
says nothing about the men and the civilization that perpertrated it.

Throughout history men have raped, subjected to forced labor, and terribly
mistreated other people they considered their fellow human beings. However,
slavery in the U.S. was something all together different.

White men, including supposedly brilliant leaders, owned other human beings
that they degraded to such a low level that they were considered
property--like a horse, a cow, a chair, a table! What sort of human beings
would still be doing this in a supposedly civilized country in the
nineteenth century? If the country that was doing this did not happen to be
our own, we would call them uncivilized barbarians.

The U.S. mint plans a new $1 coin with George Washington's image on the
front. Is this the sort of person we want our children to emulate? He may
have never told a lie, but after a battle with an Indian tribe in the French
and Indian War, he wrote of the Indians, "They are human in form only"
[James W. Loewen, Lies My Teacher Told Me]. Washington illegally shuttled
his slaves from Philadelphia to Mount Vernon so he would not have to manumit
any of them and he still held them at his death, sixteen years after
acknowledging the evil of slavery. His will freed them but only after the
death of his wife.

Which white men who had the moral fortitude to free their slaves during
their lifetimes do we acknowledge as great men? How many average Americans
can name any? How many historians can name any?
Paul