From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:23:31 -0500
Cynthia,

         Thank you for a powerful post!

         I live in Dinwiddie and have taught at Nottoway High School for 13
years, a year at Emporia High School and a record of scattered employment
for Dinwiddie since a medical spell. I, too thought my Nottoway students
were assertive and aggressive, but when I see the unadorned response of
children from another culture, I see great differences.

         Yes, I, too have seen the generations in Southside Virginia
advance since my students who would quibble among themselves over whose
mother parked her shoes under whose bed in the early eighties. My Nottoway
had access to the Internet through special ed resources, and have exceeded
expectations since graduation.

         Yes, I used to think that of my Nottoway students, but in meeting
my Pa born students I am seeing something different. Something I'd
forgotten during my years living in VA.... A sense of self-worth .... A
sense of self-control. Some would suggest that the differences I see are
due to home schooling, I don't have an explanation.

                                 Anne

At 07:01 PM 2/22/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Anne,
>        I, too, am surprised by your stereotyping.  How long has it been since
>you have been in Southside VA?  I grew up in Chicago and have lived here in
>VA for 20 years.  I teach in Prince George County, VA, which is just outside
>of Petersburg.  Most of my classes are 40% African American.  Trust me, these
>are not eye-lowering, cowering young men and women.  They look me in the eye
>and can hold intelligent, assertive discussions.   We (my students and I)
>have grown beyond the memories of slavery.  We ask you to join us.
>
>Cynthia Hasley
>
>Cynthia Hasley
>
>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
>at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org