From:
Camille Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 13:22:41 -0500
Guys. I think I can help with an answer.
First thing: Hobb's Hole was not the only so charmingly named waterside site
in colonial Virginia. There was Boyd's Hole and Naylor's Hole for starters.
The latter part of each name refers to the unusual depth of water at the
port.

So I'm pretty sure ocean-worthy ships could "cozy up" to a wharf [multiple]
built out from the shore.

Another bit of information: Sea-worthy vessels could sail up Rappahannock
[now Cat Point] Creek all the way to Menokin Bay.

It's really hard sometimes for us to realize how much the river has silted
up since farmers started plowing.

Finally the source I've found most useful for much information on these
matters--it's an old but not-out-dated book--recommended!

Yours truly,
Camille.