From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:04:26 -0400
Very interesting books.  And living proof that not only is "memory
selective" but so are writer's biases.  You know you are in trouible when
you see something like "The True Story of Jamestowne."

Remember The Historic Gospel according to Cabell:  "It never was like it
was."

Nevertheless, I think these books are welcome addtions to the lore of
Jamestown.  And of course I applaud the one that waxes eloquent on my
late-found hero, Capt. John Smith.

But dag nab it, it looks like those pesky Pilgrims continue to lead the pack
and steal all the glory of the being pious and first.  Bummer.  Has anybody
written "The True Story of the Pilgrims?"  Basically, they came to America
for the same reason that you and I move out of the city into the country....
looking for a better life.  I believe that William Bradford listed the five
or so reasons, and the much ballahooed 'Religious Freedom' was way back at
fifth.

Randy Cabell - The Trumpeter of Jamestowne