From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:00:06 -0500
"My lord, the sum of all I know I have disclosed."  Richard III

  Actually, I was reading some work of local history on Mecklenburg County, Virginia,
when I came across the story (legend.)  Apparently, a family of English people, mother, son,
and several daughters settled in M'bg Co., perhaps in Chase City,
about 1830 and set up an academy.  The son, looking for work
sojourned for a while in Farmville, Prince Edward County, where I
read he produced a daguerreotype of one of his sisters in 1839.  He
later went on to become a distinguished professor of medicine at
Columbia University at mid-century.
  This story was so far from my own center of interest when I read
it, I have never followed it up, do not remember the people's names,
and cannot attest to the truth of the matter.  Perhaps someone
more learned it antebellum history can confirm or deny the account
I have related above.