From:
"Margie C. Young-Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:43:18 -0400
According to Hening's Statutes, "ACT XII, December 1662

WHEREAS some doubts have arrisen whether children got by any Englishman upon
a negro woman should be slave or ffree, Be it therefore enacted and declared
by this present grand assembly, that all children borne in this country
shalbe held bond or free only according to the condition of the mother, And
that if any christian shall committ ffornication with a negro man or woman,
hee or shee soe offending shall pay double the ffines imposed by the former
act.

The individual's complexion did not determine their freedom, but rather they
took the condition of the mother.  Achild born to a slave was a slave,
regardless of paternity. There were no legal white slaves in Virginia,
although there were white indentured servants.  I'm unaware of the Virginia
law you cited; can you give the source?

There have been former slaves &/or Free Persons of Color who individually
petioned the courts or General Assembly to be declared white.  These
petitions are online, but unfortunately I no longer have the URL.  The
Library of Virginia now has the Legislative Database online @
http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/gov/petitions/descsubject.asp?which=Free
%20Negroes which contains a description of some petitions.

Hope this helps
Margie C. Young-Taylor