From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:36:51 -0500
Harry Turtledove wrote a book called Guns of the South.  In this bit of
alternate fiction, Boers from 20th century South Africa bring AK-47s to the
Confederacy in an attempt to preserve slavery.  Not unexpectedly, the South
wins the war and RE Lee is elected President.  As I remember it, he abolishes
slavery.  This is certainly not a scholarly economic analysis.  Just an
entertaining bit of fiction.  but Turtledove does excellent research and his
books are often very accurate in the details.  He just seriously alters the
big picture, after all it is alternate history.