From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:58:45 -0400
Would it be fair to say that residents of Cumberland County, Virginia, and
other counties well west of the fall line, in the 50 or so years following
the Revolution, would be more independent-minded, more free-spirited, less
bound to the 100-year-old traditions of the more easterly counties?  I am
trying not to use the word "liberal" as it is used today, because I don't
know what "liberal" meant in 1800.  But that is what I'm getting at.  I am
researching an inter-racial family where the father/owner and the
mother/slave and the offspring lived publicly as a family.  As well as I
can tell from the records, they seem to have been at least tolerated.
They appear to have functioned well in the community.  Although Cumberland
County was far from the frontier in 1800-1825, had it been settled by
frontier-seekers who simply didn't care that much about traditions?  Is
there a book that deals with this subject?