From:
Harold Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:43:39 -0400
Plantations in Virginia produced a staple crop such as tobacco while farms
produced provisions such as corn, wheat, and other grains.William Nelson
wrote that his son Hugh converted one of his plantations to a farm for
growing provisions instead of tobacco. John Adams wrote in Feb. 1777: "The
Planters are those who raise Tobacco and the Farmers such as raise Wheat
&c."  This distinction seems to have been normal in 18th century Virginia.
HBG