From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 19:40:54 GMT
Everyone,
I am amazed at how complicated the relationships were in Colonial Virginia. My ancestor, Charles Lewis served in the Revolutionary War out of Fredericksburg.  For the entire time I have researched him I thought that Ambrose Lewis was his brother. Well, thanks to Frank Murray ([log in to unmask]), a researcher, I found out that was not the case.  Charles, and Susanna Lewis were the parents of Ambrose.  Frank Murray found Charles, and Susanna Lewis Wills at LVA, and Ambrose is mentioned as a son, and in fact all of the children, and some grandchildren are mentioned (I have not seen the entire Will as of yet).

This changes the entire dynamics of Ambrose, and Charles Lewis. Instead of two brothers fighting in the Revolutionary War, it was father, and son. In fact it was a father and at least two sons, as Benjamin Lewis was a son, and he also served in the Revoltionary War.  It also calls into question some of the history books I have seen that state that Charles and Ambrose are brothers. However, this is a major find for me, and has taken over twenty years to locate. Charles, and Susanna owned property in Richmond, Henrico County, Fredericksburg, and Spotsylvania County. After his service in the Revolutionary War, he continued as a Seamen.

Anita Wills.