From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:48:22 -0400
I got an inquiry this afternoon about a George Dalls Sherman, born in Richmond and at the tender age of 15 took over as director of the Richmond Brass Band about 1859.  That's the first dot I would like to connect? Does anybody know anything about that band?

Apparently through most of the Civil War he remained director, and in 1864 "joined" the 9th VT Regimental Band.  That's the second dot.  Can I find out if that unit was stationed around Richmond, Petersburg?

There is some indication that Sherman was black, but that's shaky.  Were free blacks conscripted into the Confederate Army at any time?

After the war, Sherman moved to Burlington VT and spent the rest of his life there, although he must have retained some Virginia roots.  For in 1895, he published THE STONEWALL BRIGADE MARCH and dedicated it to The Stonewall Brigade Band.  By the late 1890's his band was recognized as one of the very best in the country.  Several of the 28 marches that he wrote were performed by Sousa.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Randy Cabell
19th VA Hvy Arty Bn Band