Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:15:47 EDT
I read with interest the discussion on Cemetery
Laws in VA and was somewhat surprised it has
not generated more conversation.  My predicament
is related, but somewhat different.  We, being our
genealogical group, in addition to the DAR, SAR
and a number of other prominent groups in and
around Roanoke, VA have been trying for the
last several years to try and get Roanoke to accept
partial responsibility to restore and maintain what
is considered to be a historically significant cemetery.
The two primary people buried in that small family cemetery
are Col. Elijah McClanahan and his wife Agatha Strother
Lewis.  Col Elijah was a son of William McClanahan who
at one time owned close to 5000 acres in Roanoke or
what was known as "Big Lick" at that time.  William and his
sons, basically Elijah and James, were largely responsible
for the development of Roanoke.  Agatha Strother Lewis was
the granddaughter of General Andrew Lewis, whose history
is well known throughout VA.  There are considerably more
details on my website if anyone is interested.  Please see:
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/joemac1938/cemetery.htm">McClanahan Cemetery
</A>
I would like to see some dialogue regarding on how such
cemeteries could possibly saved for future generations.
Are there any cemetery preservation groups in VA that
could possibly provide guidance and/or financial assistance?
Are there any state laws on the books that would direct a city
to preserve and maintain such cemeteries?
I have done quite a bit of research on this matter, but I'm sure
there may be some unexplored avenues that I may have not
turned up yet.
If you have gone to the website to get a more detailed explanation
as to what has transpired, you will have a better idea of the
problems.  I also thank anyone in advance that has indeed
gone to the website to review the ongoing struggle.
Any comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

   Joe McClenahan