From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:10:09 -0500
To Doug and All,

    The bottom line, it seems to me, is that Virginians are Americans and
they always have been.  Virginians in the mid-19th century experienced a
somewhat different history than say Californians or New Yorkers but this may
be the present concern of only a minority of Virginians.  Moreover, over 40%
of Virginians in 1860 were African-Americans, mostly slaves.  Many, many
white Virginians, particularly in the mountain west (think West Virginia)
were Unionist.  Since the overwhelming majority of blacks, slave and free,
favored the Union over the CSA and given the considerable Unionist sympathy
amongst Virginia's white population, it isn't even wise to presume that a
majority of Virginians supported the CSA.  The laws that governed
enfranchisement in 1860-1861 determined that Virginia would vote for
separation from the Union.
    By the way, if this argument makes sense regarding Virginia, think about
South Carolina, Mississippi, and Louisiana, which all had black majorities
in 1860.
    The assumption that "Virginia" (substitute other southern states) swears
by its CSA heritage suffers from a racial and political myopia.  But as a
historian I know who will remain nameless here told me years ago, snooping
through his great grandfather's papers, he discovered something interesting,
which he announced at grandma's Thanksgiving dinner.  "Grandma," he said,
"if your father was a southern veteran of the Civil War, why did his pension
checks come from Washington, DC?"  Grandma said "hush!!"

Harold S. Forsythe