Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:44:19 EST
        The best authority I know that is an indictment of Lincoln's judgment
in ignoring many Constitutional limitations to wage war without the consent
of Congress or the people, to terminate habeas corpus and other civil rights
without the consent of Congress, and to set off Emancipation, and all that it
entailed, without the consent of Congress or any Constitutional or other
statutory power can be found in the Sermon on the Mount, where the Lord
taught: "Enter by the narrow gate (the Constitution, in this case); for the
gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction (presidential
tyranny), and many are those who enter by it (Lincoln)."  He professed to be
a Christian, but proved to fall well short of the teachings of Christ in his
actions, as do we all I might add.  The difference is that his actions
resulted in unnecessary death and destruction of a level never seen before or
since in this country.

       He had no significant political experience (6 years in a state
legislature, 2 years in Congress) and yet had the audacity to provoke a war
that dragged the entire country down to its lowest point in our history.  I
would say no matter what spin historians put on Lincoln, his record is one
right on a level with Billy Bob, US Grant, and perhaps a couple others.  He
could write a mean speech, but great leadership and great speech making are
not necessarily related.

JDS