From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:14:34 -0500
From: "Judy Wyatt" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:18 AM
Subject: FW: Office of Delegate Landes re constituent suggestion

Mr. Waddell,

Please see the answer below Delegate Landes received in response to your
suggestions regarding the Virginia Cavalcade. Apparently, contacts from both
Senator Hanger and Delegate Landes to the Library in support of your
suggestion have helped. Note that others have expressed the same interest
and the Library is apparently trying to address this through a new website
titled "Virginia Memory". Please read the response below and I do hope that
this turns out to be something with which you will be pleased. Should
Delegate Landes and Senator Hanger receive further updates, both offices
will keep you informed.

Once again, thanks for your suggestion.

Judith (Judy) W. Wyatt

Legislative Aide to Delegate Landes

540-245-5540 (District phone)

Thank you for asking for input from the Library on the inquiry to Delegate
Landes about Virginia Cavalcade. Of all the programs we had to eliminate
during the budget cuts several years ago, that one has proven to be the one
people are still talking about.

Since we ceased publication of Virginia Cavalcade, the Library has been
thinking of ways to share some the information found in the magazine as well
as other interesting historical content using the new technologies.  The
ultimate goal is to expand the interpretive and educational offerings of the
Library and reach wider audiences. There are some hurdles we must surmount,
however, when it comes to placing back issues of Cavalcade online.   When
the Library published Cavalcade, we did not obtain the electronic rights to
the articles and only had one-time rights to publish photographs and images
from other institutions. Other issues to be considered involve copyright and
the conversion of the printed text into electronic files.  Contrary to what
many people think, publishing in electronic format is not free.  One of the
things that made Cavalcade such a strong product was the staff expertise
that went into producing it.  If we were to do more than place old content
online but were to produce new articles, editorial staff would be needed to
research and write the pieces or edit those submitted by outside authors,
secure photo rights, negotiate with authors, and design the end product. The
staff that worked on Cavalcade are, unfortunately, no longer in the
Library's employ.

That being said, we are in the process of developing a new Web site called
Virginia Memory where selected Cavalcade articles and Dictionary of Virginia
biographies, and much more will be available.  We are in the process of
evaluating older content for possible use in more accessible formats, and
are planning for possible spin-offs of new products for the Web.  This
coming spring we hope to launch a new quarterly publication that will
include event information, information on the Library's collections and
projects, and short historical articles in the style of the Virginia
Cavalcade.  We anticipate that this publication will fill some of the void
left when the magazine ceased publication in 2002.

We will keep you informed as our plans progress. I think you and those who
loved Virginia Cavalcade will be pleased with the new publication and Web
site.

Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Jan

Jan Hathcock
Library of Virginia
800 East Broad St.