From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:03:40 -0500
  To Ms. Watro and All;

  I just went out of town for a few days to come back and find my computer
full of arguments about TJ, slavery, Sally Hemings, and what not.
Sorry, I was just trying to bring the discussion back around to
Virginia history.  It seems I helped "cut a hog," as my Orange
Courthouse-born grandfather would have said.
  As to the census, yes it is amazing that such a meticulous
device as the "Founders" created, would initially inquire into the
names of only heads of households.  Then, in 1840, when the
census formula was revised, slaves went nameless in the records,
though they certainly maintained given and family names within
their own communities and localities.
  This, itself, would be an interesting subject of discussion, given
the acadian notions of slavery spun by its interpeters past and
present;  in Virginia and throughout America.