From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:01:12 -0400
The mid-Atlantic and New England states might have provided a model for
such a gradual process with their post-nati emancipation statutes. If I
remember corrrectly, children born after a certain date to slave parents
would be held in a form of indentured servitude until a certain age and
then freed.  I know that post-nati proposals were floated in 1831, but I
don't know if their authors specifically pointed to these previous state
laws as examples.

I also recall some interesting ideas in Peter Kolchin's work that
compared emancipation in the British and French West Indies and in the
U.S.  He argued that British and French plantation owners were often
absentee and didn't have the same concerns about the social consequences
of emancipation. In fact, by accepting emancipation by law these
landowners ended up shaping the labor system after emancipation much to
their advantage.  In contrast, southern slaveholders ended up losing
much of that control over labor, if for a brief time.

Gregg Kimball