From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:31:19 -0500
I suppose one test of Mr. Browning's thesis is this:  did slaves who were freed before
the Civil War seek to be reenslaved because the "practicalities" of life were so hard. A
few, here and there did; but they are the rare exceptions that prove the rule.

Did masters, like Edward Coles free their slaves and provide them with land.  Yes; did
some masters free their slaves and then hire them?  All the time.

Did slaves prefer to be free and not to be sold away from loved ones and familiar
surroundings whenever their master got really angry at them (this was one of Jefferson's
punishments) or whenever their master needed money (TJ sold about 85 slaves between
about 1785 and 1795).

On the eve of the civil war there were about 260,000 free blacks in the South and about
240,000 in the North.  They were obviously making a living and surviving; some were
property owners; some substantial property owners.  Most were poor.   And, I will bet
that almost all of them were happy to be free and not ready to trade it for bondage.

Browning writes:  "Would the established mechanisms of land acquisition
through headrights, apprenticeship and the like have meant that the newly freed
slaves would have ended up as the Appalachian Scots-Irish up in the hollows on the
worst of land, poor but free?"

I suppose we could go ask the Scots-Irish if they would prefer to be slaves?

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor