From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:53:09 -0400
Lyle,

Can you cite any cases where a white man was convicted of raping a slave,
especially his own slave or that of a close relative? Had Thomas Jefferson
or his brother acted without Sally's consent, what course would she have
taken to achieve justice? How often was such a course successful? How often
was it attempted?

Is "broadbrushing" in error? There is a legal terms that mean "the thing
stands for itself" (can't remember my latin at the moment), and I think that
is relevent in this case.

My personal feeling is that the statement of the mother should stand as
unequivocable proof of the paternity of a child until or unless it is proven
otherwise. Sally told her children who their father was. End of issue. She
told Eston a different story from Madison. There were two different fathers.
But, Madison said his mother said that Thomas Jefferson was his father, and
in absence of any solid proof that this is wrong, that should be the end of
the matter.

Is there one shred of evidence that Thomas Jefferson was not the father? He
said that Callendar's allegations were wrong except for the one for which he
was compelled, for the sake of the honor of the cuckolded husband, to admit.
TJ even lied to his daughters prior to being forced to confess, about his
behavior, and even in his apology, admitted that he misbehaved once, when
young and unmarried, whereas the woman he wronged had said he persisted over
10 years, including after he was married and even when in the same building
as his wife. So, if we apply Herbert Barger's standards of "liars", I think
we can assert that on this issue we cannot accept Jefferson's word that he
didn't do it.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert