From:
Andrew Talkov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:48:23 -0500
Greetings all!

For those of you interested in the agricultural history of the South,
you may want to try, History of Agriculture in the Southern United
States to 1860: Volumes I & II by Lewis Cecil Gray; Katherine Esther
Thompson, and Henry Charles Taylor (Published by Peter Smith, New York,
1941).  To my knowledge, this is the most complete study of agricultural
practices and results from the early colonial period up to the Civil
War.  At various points, he provides evidence regarding crop yields per
acre and labor needed to produce them.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andrew H. Talkov

Exhibit Coordinator for Virginia's Civil War

Virginia Historical Society

428 N. Boulevard

P.O. Box 7311

Richmond, Virginia 23221-0311

Phone: 804-340-2276

Fax:  804-355-2399

Email:  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>