From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:44:50 -0400
Phebe,

I also enjoyed this book. I'm not sure I remember a mention in the book
about TJ's obsession with "body fluids", but he had a number of scientific
interests. Or, are you referring to his young manhood when he claimed to
know how men could relieve their sexual frustrations in a simple (but
secret) means.

From the book, it seems that TJ confined his sharing of body fluids to his
wife, and to Sally, although he may have spilled some during his studency
that never made it into any publications. He never seemed to have scored
with Mrs. Walker, or with Mrs. Cosway, although he did succeed in making a
fool of himself with both.

I just read another book on Jefferson, quite a different side of him than
Jon Kukla explores, in "A Magnificent Catastrophe" by Edward J. Larson. In
this book the election of 1800 is explored including Jefferson's use of the
press to spread lies about Adams and the Federalists, then as president,
wanted to prosecute those who published unflattering accounts of himself
under the Sedition Act in PA (after opposing Adam's Sedition Act). When
Jefferson wrote, he showed his nobler side, but in how he acted in life,
that baser side came out.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert