From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2012 12:25:46 -0400

Dear Folks,

“Listen My Children, and You Shall Hear” ... Carl Zellner speaking on “Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride: Myth and Reality” at the next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond on Wednesday, July 18.  Carl is both an ARRT-Richmond member and the historian of the Charlestown, MA Historical Society.  He’s done some wonderful work on this topic.  We will meet in the Heilman Dining Center for dinner beginning at 5:30, with the meeting starting at 6:15, a bit earlier than usual to accommodate the University of Richmond’s summer dining schedule.  Details are at  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2012-meeting-schedule.html, with maps at http://www.richmond.edu/visit/.  Please join us.

Here are a few other items of interest.

J L Bell of Boston 1775 will be in DC next week at the Society of Cincinnati  http://societyofthecincinnati.org/events/public speaking on

Washington's Artillery: Reengineering the Regiment Between Bunker Hill and Dorchester Heights
When: July 10, 2012, 7 p.m.
Where: Anderson House
Scholar J. L. Bell examines how George Washington rebuilt the
Continental artillery after taking command of the American forces around
Boston in 1775 and his decision to install an unranked volunteer, Henry
Knox, as the regiment’s commander. On July 10, 1775, Gen. George
Washington finished his first report to the Continental Congress on the
army he had found around Boston. He listed “a Want of Engineers” as his
biggest challenge, adding, “I can hardly express the Disappointment.”

If you can’t make this lecture, you can view a similar presentation on our site at http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-05-02T06:56:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=14&by-date=false with a May 2 date.  It’s very interesting.

I would also highly recommend John’s April lecture in Lincoln, MA on “What Did the British Hope to Find in Concord on April 19?”  This is a fascinating talk with an interesting theory.  http://lincolntv.pegcentral.com/player.php?video=88a0d4e5ad4bb79b75b870a9fc747d61

Member John Millar spoke briefly to us a few months ago about his recent discovery of an early Stars and Stripes flag rendering.  He also distributed cards showing the flag.  Here’s the link to a July 3rd Wall Street Journal article about the mini flag controversy.  http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702304211804577501441816539490-lMyQjAxMTAyMDAwMzEwNDMyWj.html?mod=wsj_valettop_email

Enjoy the summer and hope for cooler weather.

Bill Welsch

If you wish to be removed from this monthly update list, please send an email to [log in to unmask] so requesting.