From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:46:58 -0400
The book on the cultural and ecological shaping of southern highlands
(Appalachia and the Ozark Plateau) is by two cultural geographers:  Terry G.
Joran & Matti Kaups, The American Backwoods Frontier:  An Ethnic and
Ecological Interpretation (Johns Hopkins U. P., 1989)  In this brilliant
study, the authors undermine McWhinney's "Celtic" thesis for the South, by
arguing that the forest penetration technology used to settle highlands in
North America, derived from Finnish settlers in New Sweden (Delaware) and
were then transferred to a series of ethnicities who came after, including
the Scots-Irish, but also the English, Dutch, German, Huguenot, and American
Indians who were acculturated into this particularly effective form of high
forest penetration.  For these scholars, the log cabin was more important
than the Celtic screaming attack.

Harold S. Forsythe
Golieb Fellow
New York University, School of Law