From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:21:04 -0500
Mr. Dixon and All;

  I hate to come back again to you, but I just found this post from
Friday.  Do you suppose that the law does not, all unadmitted, use
probability in its processes?  What about any situation where
documents are destroyed, or an acknowledged witness cannot be
sworn and deposed (say, due to death)?  Is a court's ruling in those
cases totally "proved," in the sense of classical logic?  I do not
think so.
  A court generally must act.  It acts and reaches conclusions,
often using unacknowledge probability (another term would be
induction) because it has the power to do so and the bureaucratic
imperative to act.
  I don't think philosophers have even considered the epistemology
of the law, related to philosophy, history, economics, etc.  What
the truth status of a legal ruling, say in Baker v. Carr, would be of
interest to me.  Logicians within the discipline of philosophy have
done considerable work on the concept of proof.  They have
difficulty dealing with two very distinct situations:  the one in
history, where inevitably some of the evidence is lost;  and the one
in law, where inevitably one lawyer or another, moves to exclude
evidence from the court's deliberations, as part of a strategy for
victory.  Does anyone suppose that well educated counsel, paid to
produce a given result, have any interest in a fact-packed,
disinterested, open search for proof of anything relevant to a legal
proceeding?