From:
Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:43:58 -0500
Sometimes we tend to think of greatness and importance by the sweeping
changes they made or by major events that affected all our lives. My
nomination doesn't seems to fit the norm.

Miss Ethel M. Gildersleeve.
b. 2 Dec 1898, Newport News, VA
d. 24 Nov 1991, Newport News, VA

For more than seven decades, Miss Gildersleeve touched the lives of
schoolchildren. She was a teacher, high school administrator, and in
retirement an advocate for students. She earned more, much more than
plaques, certificates, and world renown -- she earned students love.

She graduated from Newport News High School in 1916 and left the city for
Farmville State Teacher's College -- now Longwood College. She returned to
Newport News High School in 1920 to teach math. By 1932 she had risen to the
position of Dean of Girls -- but even the boys felt her influence. Along the
way, she earned a Master's Degree from Columbia University. She became
Assistant Principal before retirement in 1964.

She was loved by all and gave all of herself. The number of lives she
touched is beyond calculation. Her giving, her concern, her dedication, her
very life went so far beyond those expected of a teacher. She gave from her
heart and those who knew her remember her as a Great and Important
Virginian.

In a 1977 interview Miss Gildersleeve said, "No adult has the right to say a
child is doomed. We mustn't give up on our children." This is her legacy.

Tom
Royalty to Rogues
http://www.l-dunaway.net/