From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:07:25 -0700
Jim  I think the problem is that most people today "think" that a "plantation" was large farm with slaves.  That is how I responded to a question on this list, a few minutes ago, about the difference between farm and plantation.  Only we historians of the 17th century know it had the meaning of colony -- a "planting" of people in a new place

----

Paul Finkelman

President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law

Albany Law School

80 New Scotland Avenue

Albany, NY  12208

518-445-3386 (p)