From:
"Karen E. Sutton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:39:41 -0500
From: Herr, David <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:43:58 -0500
Subject: NEH Summer Seminar

From: Richard Newman [[log in to unmask]]

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

    I wanted to let you know that The Library Company of
Philadelphia, in conjunction with the SHEAR, is pleased to offer an NEH
Summer Seminar for school teachers on American abolitionism. Entitled
?The Abolitionist Movement: Fighting Slavery and Racial Injustice from
the Revolution to the Civil War,? the seminar will be held at The
Library Company July 9 to August 4, 2006. I will be co-directing the
seminar along with John Stauffer of Harvard University. We anticipate
holding lively discussion sessions on everything from abolitionist
primary sources to using field trips to enhance the study of
abolitionism in school. We will also welcome three guest historians who
will discuss their recent scholarly work relating to abolitionism: David
Waldstreicher, Professor of History at Temple University and one of the
leading scholars of both early national politics and the problem of
slavery in Revolutionary society; Erica Armstrong, Assistant Professor
of History at the University of Delaware and a rising voice in the study
of free black women in antebellum culture; and Patrick Rael, Associate
Professor of History at Bowdoin College and author of a prize-winning
book on antebellum black protest culture.

    This is a wonderful and important moment to re-examine the
abolitionist movement. Not only are there more books coming out on the
subject than ever before but there are now many new collections of
primary sources available for classroom use  -- and many good web-sites
too. Moreover, slavery and abolitionism continue to make headlines in
papers around the country, as museums open brand-new exhibits on the
institution of slavery, local communities re-examine their role in the
Underground Railroad, and television documentaries focus on the
significance of slavery and abolitionist movements in early America. We
hope to provide overviews of this new and exciting work (not to mention
classic treatments of the subject) while also discussing the challenges
of teaching abolitionism to today's students.

    We hope that you will let school teachers know about the
seminar. Further information can be found at the following web-site.
http://www.librarycompany.org/neh/

    Thank you for helping spread the word!

    Sincerely,

    Richard S. Newman