From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 01:25:29 -0400
  It is not clear why the "Lost Cause" movement needed camouflage for its sentiments.
Union Army government lasted only until 1869, with the last troops
withdrawn in 1877.  Clearly, there is indication that the songs
suggest certain sentiments, but pro-Confederate notions were as
likely to be expressed openly during active military government as
during anytime from 1860 to 1900.

Harold S. Forsythe