From:
"M. Skinner" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2015 15:35:59 -0500

This sounds good to me. History was my least favorite subject in school (that
was in the dark ages when history in school= lists of dates to learn), and I
always thought genealogy was for little old ladies who wanted to prove their
"connection"-- especially in Virginia-- to something snobby. Then I met a
genealogist in the UK as a young adult and my mind was changed forever.
Making history personal makes it so much more interesting and real.
-Melinda Skinner

Since so many of you are esteemed educators, what do you all feel would be the teaching of genealogy and how the persons in your family history either affected or precipitated history.
I have taught briefly at a Jr. College in Baytown, Texas a genealogy course. Primarily this was only for family research, HOWEVER as I was able to show what was happening during a family member was in Scotland, Ireland, England (Cromwell for my family), Germany, or Spain. The students started seeing the factors that MADE their ancestor pack up and leave their homes.
ALSO, they started to understand economic and sociological factors that made them to move to the new world.
Professor Gates of Harvard has received loads of attention for his PBS series, but I feel that this could be a great addition to the History departments, especially in Virginia, North Carolina and Massachusetts.
Anyone's opinion?
Thanks
John Philip Adams
Texas