From:
Elizabeth Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 22:44:44 -0400
Even at the highest ranks of European
society, personal cleanliness as we define it
was somewhat lacking. For instance, the royal
palace at Versailles had no ...ah...
restrooms as such. There must have been
chamberpots in the bedrooms, but the hordes
of nobles, servants, etc. at the palace
couldn't and didn't spend all their time in
and near their sleeping places.

I'm a member of that age cohort who hit the
teen years in the early '70s. I remember how
odd our parents thought we were for washing
our hair _every_ day! "Older ladies," for
instance, usually had their hair washed and
set once a week at the local "beauty parlor."

Elizabeth Whitaker