From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:37:00 GMT
Eric,
How can I get a copy of this book? If it is not for sale, can I do an inter library loan? I am looking for genealogical information, and imagine that book is a Goldmine. I am a descendant of several tri Racial families in Amherst County.

Anita

-- "Grundset, Eric" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Everyone,

I've been away, so I couldn't add another tidbit to this discussion until today. There is another book on this sad part of Virginia history. It is not well known, and I don't remember how I first encountered it (probably some footnote somewhere). I managed to find a copy a number of years ago for my personal collection of Virgina history books, and it is listed in LVA's catalog.

The unfortunate, but telling, title of this volume is Mongrel Virginians: The Win Tribe. The author was Arthur Estabrook. It was published in 1926, so clearly it came in the wake of the law. While the names were changed in the book, it is clearly about Amherst County and the triracial families in that county. The title sets the tone -- it is a rather amazing thing that reflects the period in which it was produced.

Eric G. Grundset
Library Director
DAR Library
1776 D St., N.W.