From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:00:54 -0500
We agree on the fact that the southern states failed to form a government
that could include both national and state objectives. Yes, the south was
not the first section of the country to test the idea of the supremecy of a
state's goals. But I don't think the New England uprising resulted in much
of a conflict. Seems the good citizens in New Hampshire settled down to the
negotiating table more quickly than "the south" did. Wonder why?

                                                         Anne

At 10:59 AM 2/22/03 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/22/03 9:09:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>

> >  was on the http://www.civilwarhome.com
> > site, checking out the State's Rights explanation under Civil War Potpourri
> > on http://www.civilwarhome.com/statesrights.htm which pretty much confirms
> > that the term State's Rights was merely a smoke screen for the intent to
> > spread slavery when the ethics of slavery were under scrutiny.
>

>Maybe you should go back a re read that.....the Southern states DID exercise
>states rights and control....to the extent that it had an impact on the war
>fighting capability of Lee's Army. While the Central Government needed more
>control several of the states with held that control and the central
>government could do NOTHING ABOUT IT. Sounds to me that if the state did like
>something,  the state had more control to do something about it.  Also the
>Southern States were not the first to think about secession...several New
>England states wanted to in the early 1800's as they were being adversely
>effected by trade regulations because of the War of 1812. IT was about power
>and money....just as the causes of the ACW were. Slavery was a factor, but
>the South's lost of power and the threat of economic stagnation combine with
>the growth of Western and Northern states political power caused the South to
>feel they losing control...I think this is real cause of the war.
>
>WC BUSER
>
>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
>at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org